February 26, 2009

Health Tips


When I was growing up, my dad was very careful and meticulous about wound care. It came as a surprise to me that this was not standard in every home. However, the more I learn about exactly what types of germs are available on the playground, the more thankful I am for my dad's careful care of our boo-boo's.

I found this in the February 2009 issue of Parenting-looked helpful and practical, so I thought I would pass it along.


Infection Prevention

the standard advice: Scrub up.
toddler twist: For cuts on his hands, fill up the sink with soapy water put some toys in there, and have him search for them under the bubbles.
the standard advice: Apply antibiotic ointment.
toddler twist: Put the ointment on and then immediately distract him with something he loves. This way, he'll have something else to think about besides wiping off the gooey stuff before you have a chance to put on a bandage.
the standard advice: Keep it covered.
toddler twist: Those character bandages are kid-friendly for a reason: "Some kids like to wear them like a badge," Dr. Yan says. Stuck with a plain one? Put a sticker on top of it. He's still peeling it off? Try to be extra diligent with the ointment.



(Beware the character band-aids-they can be overly loved. We now have a rule that you only get a band-aid if you are gushing blood. It turns out the kids and I have different definitions of gushing blood.

No comments: