March 8, 2009

My Favorite Starter Baby Foods

Here is a short, quick list of my favorite and easiest (oh yes, the two adjectives are very connected) baby foods.

  1. Banana: take as is, and much before serving.
  2. Avocado: so good for baby, slice and scrape off a mushy spoon full as feeding baby.
  3. Yam: cook in oven ahead of time. I cook a whole bag from Trader Joe's, then peel and remove any spots, and chop into serving size chunks and freeze like that. I have been mixing it with mommy milk just before I serve it to Lucy. I used to mush it and mix it with butter and sea salt, then freeze it. But it is soooo much easier to cook, freeze, then prepare. Preparing is not that hard, plus it is easier to store this way. Otherwise, I have to have a bunch of tiny containers, or an icecube tray.
  4. Applesauce: already prepared. Great!

I started mixing babyfood for Lucy with mommy milk this time around. We had a stomach flu go through the house just after I got her eating solids, and it put us back a week or two. Even after she was all better, swallowing solids made her gag and throw up whatever was in her tummy. Yippee. I finally gave her foods VERY watered down by mommy milk, as I figured mommy milk is sooo much better for her than any other food. Plus, I do not have to worry about things like floride and chlorine in mommy milk. Now, to just get enough into her tummy that she should not be hungry in the middle of the night. Or one hour into the night. Sigh.

No comments: