March 31, 2009

Another Organic Cheat Sheet

I stumble across these occasionally and always read them diligently to tuck away in my brain for when I need it. Unfortunately, I suffer from mommy brain and three minutes into the grocery store cannot remember all of the items on my list, much less a list I saw in a magazine two weeks ago. The current magazine is Cooking Light, although, upon closer inspection, I discovered that it came from the Environmental Working Group's website. You can get this guide from them pretty enough to print and frame here. (Well, maybe not quite that pretty.) I like these lists because it helps me know how to prioritize my budget. Which foods are okay to fudge on and regularly or occasionally buy conventional, and which foods I want to make sure are organic whenever possible.

Best to buy Organic:
  • Apples
  • Potatoes
  • Lettuce
  • Cherries
  • Bell Peppers
  • Spinach
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Strawberries
Contain trace amounts of pesticides (less crucial to buy organic):
  • Pinepples
  • Eggplant
  • Asparagus
  • Onions
  • Broccoli
  • Mangoes
  • Kiwifruit
  • Bananas
  • Avocados
  • Cabbage

One thing I also keep in mind is the size of the person consuming the food. If I am buying for a bunch of young adult guys who will consume most of the food in front of the, I probably will buy conventional if its not on the worst foods lists. If I am buying for my little baby it will probably be organic because her system is smaller.

No comments: