February 13, 2009

Book Review: C is for Caboose

I am really enjoying our new library. I was pretty impressed with the book selection so far. Although, I must say, I think they have rules posted on every single surface. Anyway, we, well, Joe found a great book. I am discovering that alphabet books are a dime a dozen. There are alphabet books, there are really pathetic alphabet books written for the sake of being "educational" and then there are really good alphabet books. I think that C is for Caboose: Riding the Rails from A to Z is n the really good alphabet catagory. Almost all of the pictures are old photos or posters from the railroad. Many of the letters have two examples to go with them. Sure, some are simple, such as A, which is for all aboard. But most of them were things I did not know anything about. Which means that both the kids and I learned a lot reading this book. I now know about zephyrs, bullet trains, monorails, and the Flying Scotsman. I really enjoyed both the illustrations and the words. Another bonus, the little tidbits were pretty short, so it help the attention of wiggly kids. Of course, it helps that it is about trains. :) This book was good enough to make it on next year's Christmas Wish-list.

No comments: