October 1, 2008

I think I'm back

Ha! Three months postpartum (well, in a week) and I think I'm finally feeling back to normal. Or at least much more normal. I am no longer pregnant, sick and uncomfortable. The house and kids are probably more or less as under control as they are going to get. Well, I thought so until I decided to try potty training child #2, who has been asking to use the potty for months. We'll give him a few more days before deciding to try again in a few months. I haven't felt up to writing, unfortunately, but I have been doing some reading.
I have a problem with motherhood. Being informed is the first step to making safe and healthy choices for my children and teaching them how to do the same. However, becoming informed takes a lot of time. To top it off, sometimes too much information can be a little overwhelming and scary. So, I've been finding blogs where other moms are doing a lot of the research and sharing it. What a clever way to share the mommy load! Thank you!! So, I thought I would pass a few of these on.

  • The Soft Landing Blog a great plastic 101 resource! Researched and frequently updated what's safe and what's not as well as current news political and otherwise related to plastics. Plus some other general health and safety issues.
  • Safe Mama I haven't spent a ton of time on this site, although it looks very helpful. My favorite part: cheat sheets!!! If you are looking for a safe sunscreen, sippy, pacifier, etc, this is a great place to start! Yay for cheat sheets! Their glossary is very helpful, too.

It is so wonderful to have other mommy's concerned about these things and helping the rest of us to be informed. My only caution is information is like watching the news. I have to confess, I usually avoid the news. I cannot watch it. I trust God to take care of me and my family, but watching the news helps fear become a larger issue in my life than it needs to be. I have enough issues as it is. :) I am not completely ignorant, I just look for the news I need in a way I can control what I absorb and how dramatically it is presented. I got overwhelmed when I first started looking into plastics. The truth is, I will not be able to protect my children from all evils in this world, environmental or otherwise. I will just do the best I can and trust God to do the rest.

I will continue to update this list as I discover new great finds!

No comments: