October 11, 2008

Dish Washing Addict

I have this problem. I know it seems like an odd problem, but my son LOVES to wash the dishes. What's the problem? Well, both of my children want to do it if one does, and if the dishes are behind, it overwhelms me, much less trying to figure out how to let them tackle a mountain, or hill of dishes without creating a moat around the sink. The other day, I let them watch tv just so I would have to fight them to do the dishes by myself. Something is wrong with this picture, right? And what about in five years when I really want them to help with the dishes?
Here's what I have learned:
  1. Joe is quite happy with some water, a brush, and one or two dishes.
  2. Emily can wipe off and rinse pretty well with some occasional guidance and a dishrag of my own for a few missed spots.

So, the new plan is to have them help after breakfast. Our dishwasher is to the right of the sink. I will set Joe up on the left side with two dishes, a brush and some water. Emily gets the scraped dishes on the right side, with a few inches of water and a dishrag. A towel will probably have to be on the floor to catch the water, but I am optimistic this plan will work. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

No comments: