June 2, 2009

Why High Fructose Corn Syrup IS Bad



Have you seen these? Maybe not. When I saw this, I was savvy enough to know that High Fructose Corn Syrup IS bad for me and my kids. But why? That, I did not know. I should, but as with a lot of my health education, I know what to avoid, what to use, how to best use many things, and that is what I know. Most of the why's I have left up to people that I trust. Thankfully, WAPF (Weston A. Price Foundation) addressed High Fructose Corn Syrup in their Spring issue of Wise Traditions. Here is the quick version of why HFCS is bad for you. If you want to see the full article with the slightly more complicated science, or why they do not like Agave Nectar either, go visit their website. They have several articles about both. But for now :)

  1. HFCS is more likely to cuase weight gain.
  2. It is in a LOT of food, and therefor challenging to use in the advised "moderation".
  3. Almost half of tested samples of HFCS also contain mercury!!!
  4. HFCS can lead to mineral losses.
  5. It can elevate blood pressure.
  6. Reduced "cognitive function" in rats. (Seriously, I need all of the "cognitive function" I can get!)


Okay, this is a pretty brief and very basic list. For me, its enough. If you want to see the science and the studies leading up to some of the statements here, and more (I left A LOT out) go check out WAPF. They are loaded with info on bad things. :)

No comments: