February 20, 2009

Book Review: Tea for Ruby

This one caught me by surprise. The four of us stepped into the library this morning. We returned a few books, and grabbed a few more. This book has a very pink cover, and is about Tea. At least according to the title. Often at the library, I look for authors I am familiar with (I am big time cheating here between working at libraries for several years and all of my time spent working with kids) or I go on the basis of the cover and preview when I get home. Trying to keep track of three kiddos and preview books seems like a lot. I usually pick MY book out online before I go to the library. So, I picked this one up,not expecting much, other than tea and a very girly girl. To top it off, it is written by Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York. I do not have any valid reason for this, but I prefer to avoid books written by celebrities. But we took this one home. And promptly read our new stack from the library.

I actually like it. The little girl, Ruby, gets an invitation to have tea with the Queen. She spends the book telling people she get to have tea with the queen. Each person responds to a specific rudeness in her behavior, "Ruby, I hope you don't interrupt when you have tea with the queen." Each page has an illustration of her being rude, and then one of her with the same people, all dressed up and behaving politely. I really enjoyed the illustrations, but it was especially nice to find a manners book that was pretty basic and best of all, all of the words were brief and interesting. So, a wiggly person could most likely manage to sit through this one and hopefully pick up a few things. :) There is a sweet surprise at the end, which I will leave a surprise. (Wow, I feel like a person reviewing a book for reading rainbow. . .) All in all, it was a sweet way to introduce some basic manners without reading book that presents them like rules.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
We will put this one on hold; it sounds fun. One way I have taught manners, is to have the kids be aware of respecting people and their property. When we do that, we are generally living with manners. A few of my favorite verses to share with our blessings are: Proverbs 3:3a, "Do not let kindness and truth leave you.", Romans 12:10 "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor." also, "And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."
There are a few 'rules' you need to instruct in; such as where to put your cough, and "Excuse me" etc., but if they can develop a heart of serving and preferring one another; a true heart of love where we are not rude, not self-seeking, not easily angered and keep no records of wrong (I Cor 13:5) then good manners will flow from a sweet heart.
I am sure you have or have heard of this book, but one we have enjoyed is "What Do You Say, Dear?" by Sesyle Joslin. This is a light-hearted book which uniquely gets the point across. If you are not familiar with this book, you may enjoy it.
So glad you are teaching your precious ones profitable things. Give them all a kiss for us.