October 4, 2008

Recipe: Puffed Oven Pancakes


I tried a great new recipe this morning! It was so easy and quick to prepare-and here's the best part-clean up was a breeze! I think it would be very easy to have little helpers, too. (Just watch out for the hot skillet!) This is a big struggle in my kitchen lately. The kids want to help cook and wash dishes. Sounds like a dream, right? Well, it could be. It will be, once I get them trained and figure out the best strategies. Maybe I'll do a post on this later. Any suggestions? Anyway, this recipe from Better Homes and Garden's Cook Book recommends to serve it with orange marmalade and fresh fruit. The fruit sounds great, but it works without it. I used the powdered sugar I had on hand, but they also suggest whipped cream. Fruit syrup was an easy low-prep addition, but it would be easy to use too much. My brother put lemon zest on his.
This makes 6 servings (I think I would make two, maybe three to feed the 6 people at my table, but some of them can be big eaters.)

2 Tbsp butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt

1. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet in the oven at 400 degrees (takes about 3-5 minutes.)
2. While the butter is melting, use a whisk or rotary beater to beat the eggs until combined.
3. Add flour, milk and salt-mix until smoot.
4. Immediately pour into the skillet.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and well browned.
6. Serve and top as desired!

1 comment:

Jon Winslow said...

Thanks Mandy!
You're right, this is a really easy and tasty meal. I doubled the recipe and made it this morning, it was easy to make, hard to mess up. :) Our oven only has the boil function working now, so that made it a little more interesting... but it still came out delicious. Thanks :)